Friday, September 23, 2011

If I have a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L. Can I install a 350 engine without changing anything but the engine?

I bought a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L engine in it. My question is can I install a 350 or LS1 engine without changing the transmission, rear end, and drive shaft and the ECM and BCM? Or does that all have to be changed with engine change?If I have a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L. Can I install a 350 engine without changing anything but the engine?Nope, more will need to be changed... You will need the ECM, new motor mounts, the wiring will be slightly different.



your tranny and rear end are fine, as well as your suspension. The driveshaft may need to be shortened, not sure on this one, because I think that the difference in the drive train length is made up at the fan shroud (it is longer on the V6), this way GM didn't have to make 2 different crossmembers for the tranny.



The swap will be easier if you have a donor car! That way everything that you need will be there! It is kind of a costly procedure, depending on who you know, and what tools and parts you have available to youIf I have a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L. Can I install a 350 engine without changing anything but the engine?everthing has to be changed, computer,wiring, maybe fuel pump trans and rear end should be okayIf I have a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L. Can I install a 350 engine without changing anything but the engine?tough swap computer tranny etc brake upgrade etc ls1 rear end change frame connectors roll bar . lot of time money douable though not cheap shop used with motor etc 4000 lt1 good luckIf I have a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L. Can I install a 350 engine without changing anything but the engine?Your talking about a real nightmare and I wouldn't recomend it.You'll have to change just about everything.It won't be cheap

or easy.I can see you having to change everyting from the radiator back,and the radiator itself probably won't be right either.And all this doesn't take into account any emissions laws you might have to deal with in your area.If they are picky they could just fault you for having a V8 in a V6 car even if everything works.The VIN number will always give the car away as an original V6 no matter how good a job you do.The best,easiest,and cheapest thing to do is sell that car and go buy a Firebird that came originally with a V8 to begin with.I know this is not what you want to hear,but don't get yourself into something you'll regret,alot!!!If I have a 1998 Firebird with a V6 3.8L. Can I install a 350 engine without changing anything but the engine?listen to Diana. whats real bad is the stock suspension WILL NOT hold a 350 for too long without massive, expensive upgrades. just sell yours and get yourself a 350.