Friday, September 23, 2011

Do I need to upgrade/change anything else on my VW MK4Golf 2.0L if I install this turbo kit?

I'm planning to install this turbo kit (http://www.turbo-kits.com/mkiv_20_turbo_ into my mk4 golf 2.0L. Is there anything else I need to consider replacing before I do the install?



For example: bigger exhaust? new intercooler? new clutch? etc etc.



I appreciate itDo I need to upgrade/change anything else on my VW MK4Golf 2.0L if I install this turbo kit?Detonation is your biggest enemy. Factory turbo cars generally start with lower compression ratios and reinforced pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and even cylinder blocks. Your engine was designed with natural aspiration in mind, so will likely not have those durability enhancements.



If I were undertaking the addition of artificial displacement, I would focus my attention on control of detonation. Keep the boost down and the octane up and perhaps add a thicker head gasket to reduce the compression ratio. Then, I would try to bring data from the knock sensor into the cockpit and test the envelope of the engine, adjusting boost and octane to minimize knock. Good luck and have fun.Do I need to upgrade/change anything else on my VW MK4Golf 2.0L if I install this turbo kit?First answer is right, detonation is your biggest worry. You can cure that with a water-methanol injection kit, available cheaply from the USA on eBay. It saves you having to drop the static compression ratio by machining, or using a thicker head-gasket.

All in all, I wouldn't add a turbo to any car. Your Golf is front wheel drive, and they don't handle much real power well anyway. Get a good rear drive car, and supercharge it. Better option all round.