Friday, June 3, 2011

Do I have to pull the engine to install an adaptor plate to change from a 4 speed to 5 speed in a 65 Mustang?

I have bought a T5 transmission. Now I need to assemble the necessary parts to install it. The answer to this question will lead to a decision of an adaptor vs a bell housing. The adaptor is best if I can install it by only pulling the transmission. Your help, please!Do I have to pull the engine to install an adaptor plate to change from a 4 speed to 5 speed in a 65 Mustang?It would be easier and probaly cheaper to just change the bell housing. You've already got the transmission out, so the bell housing is just 8 more bolts.Do I have to pull the engine to install an adaptor plate to change from a 4 speed to 5 speed in a 65 Mustang?depending on what kind of 5 speed transDo I have to pull the engine to install an adaptor plate to change from a 4 speed to 5 speed in a 65 Mustang?Change the bell housing.Its much easier.You can get one CHEAP on e-bay or a junk yard.go to Bruce Contours Modern Driveline web site.they have all the info you need.Do I have to pull the engine to install an adaptor plate to change from a 4 speed to 5 speed in a 65 Mustang?I have done multiple t5 swaps in cars. If you have the adapter, use it. The adapter not only allows it to bolt right up, but in most cases the input shaft on the 5 speed is longer, and the adapter makes the fit perfect. The only time I change the bell housing is when i want the safty of a steel housing for high rpm use.