Thursday, November 25, 2010

If I change out my motherboard, Do I have to have a CD in order to install Windows XP on it?

If I change out my motherboard, Do I have to have a CD in order to install Windows XP on it? Or will the hard drive install it automatically?If I change out my motherboard, Do I have to have a CD in order to install Windows XP on it?You don't install an operating system on the motherboard. You install it on the primary hard drive. As far as I know, the new 'board should boot up with the current hard drive. You may need to set up the BIOS, though.



Hope that helps.If I change out my motherboard, Do I have to have a CD in order to install Windows XP on it?When you put a new motherboard in a Computer it doesnt effect what you have on your hard drive. So as long as you didnt format your drive you shouldn't have anything to worrie about.If I change out my motherboard, Do I have to have a CD in order to install Windows XP on it?Your hard drive will support your motherboard ; as XP is already on your HDD. And , your new motherboard will come with a bios CD that you will need to install fron an IDE boot which is where the computer is usually set up as first boot option.Very important is registering your HDD , again. You may want to do the work and take it to your computer guru with a network to get the OS registered ; or you will lose it in short .