Thursday, November 25, 2010

How can I change the install directory of a program?

Well I recently purchased a solid state drive, and have a 1TB HDD that I use to install my programs on. However, some programs do not allow me to chose the directory. How can I move them over and keep them properly working?How can I change the install directory of a program?Try installing to the Desktop.



When done and tested, create a folder, like C:\Foo

(Use Windows or DOS commands)

(Foo is an example folder name)



Then Drag %26amp; Drop the files from the Desktop to the Foo folder.

;-)



Or...

(Using DOS from the Command screen)

CD \ (puts you in the main or root folder, Desktop) (don't forget the backslash)

MD Foo2 (Creates the Foo2 folder, MD, Make Directory or Folder)

Copy \Foo *.* C:\Foo2 (*.* means everything before the period and everything after the period, leave a space after the first *).



You now have copied the files in Foo to Foo2



If all OK, you can delete the files in Foo and then delete the Foo folder.



If I'm talkin' Chinese, forget it.

Learn some DOS instead.



To learn some DOS, from the Command screen, type %26quot;Help/?%26quot; (no quotes).

;-)How can I change the install directory of a program?You can't.How can I change the install directory of a program?If a program does not allow you to change the install directory, the you cannot change it.



By default many programs install themselves in the Windows Drive or C:\Program Files\...

So what you can do is install Windows on your new hard-disk and make the machine boot out of it. This will in turn make those program install them on it. But the flip side is that they will be deleted in case you format the disk or re-install your OS.
  • single beds
  • married advice for
  •